Stewed Tilapia with Mac and Cheese


A few weeks ago I was wondering what to use to flavor some tilapia I had and I happened to have a can of stewed tomatoes in the cupboard. I combined them and, well, it was so good, I just had to make it again!

click pic for close up

Ingredients:

5 frozen tilapia fillets, thawed
1 can stewed tomatoes
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. celery salt
juice of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste
parsley flakes to garnish

Saute veggies in olive oil until sweated. Sprinkle dry seasonings onto both sides of each fillet, add to saute pan. Keep on med-high heat till fillets are golden browned on one side (about 3 minutes or so). Flip fillets and then add tomatoes, lemon juice and parsley on top. Reduce heat. Cover. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes, fish should be white and flaky.

The Mac and Cheese is simply Kraft Homestyle Mac and Cheese. The kind that comes in a bag. It's the bomb, y'all! I added a little more cheese in the form of some grated parm I had in the fridge. I also "faux baked" it since I didn't want to heat up the kitchen for just a side dish. Simply cook as directed on the package but instead of transferring into an oven-safe dish for baking, continue to let simmer on very low heat on the stove top after adding the bread crumb topping for about 5 minutes. Let sit covered for another 5 minutes and it'll taste just like it was finished in the oven.

Comments